If you’re a home owner its important to know how to soft wash a house. Rough weather can leave streaks on vinyl siding, windows, and other parts of your home, making it look shabby and dirty. Fortunately, soft washing can solve these problems. Learn how to soft wash a house below.
What is Soft Washing?
Soft washing is a cleaning process used by professional pressure washers for house washing purposes. This cleaning method involves using a low pressure stream of water while pressure washing and using various cleaning solutions to clean the exterior surfaces of a house.
You don’t have to be a professional house washing aficionado nor a pressure washing professional to soft wash your home. Soft washing is actually quite simple once you learn how.
Benefits of Soft Washing
Soft washing your home offers many benefits. The main benefit is a clean house. But here are some other soft washing benefits you should know about.
Soft washing benefits:
- Uses less water (better for the environment)
- Gets rid of harmful black mold (black mold growth can make you sick and kill you)
- Stop mildew growth and prevent mildew spores from spreading (mildew can cause cosmetic damage to your entire home)
- Get rid of spider webs and prevent pest infestation (spiders and insects can harm you and your home)
- Remove chemicals and contaminants (chemicals and contaminants from the atmosphere end up invisibly causing damage to your home and your health)
- Clean off grime and dust, and remove dirt and other debris from the exterior of your house (dirt and grime makes your home look aged and causes vinyl siding to become weak, warped, and damaged, eventually causing structural damage to your home)
- Prevent roof damage (roof shingles age much faster if not kept clean, and a new roof can be as expensive as purchasing a new home)
Recommended Reading: How to Soft Wash a Roof
Important Note: Remove mold and mildew along with other harmful contaminants to protect your health and well being. Soft washing systems are the best way to achieve this.
What You’ll Need To Soft Wash Your House
What you’ll need to soft wash your house can be purchased at most hardware stores and home improvement warehouses. Expect to spend a couple to a few hundred dollars upfront. Bare in mind though that you’ll need these items again in the future.
Here are the items needed to soft wash your house:
- A soft wash system (available at most hardware stores)
- Pressure washer (for home use we recommend this Sun Joe electric pressure washer)
- Have a cleaner that is bleach-safe. (House wash soap is a popular choice as it is safe for use on vinyl and other exterior surfaces.)
- You will need to select the right pressure washing nozzle to apply the cleaning solution. (The cleaning solution should contain a 1:1 ratio of chlorine or another bleach-based product. Sodium Hypochlorite)
- Long handled scrub brush and sponges (we use car washing sponges)
- Garden hose and sprayer (for use with the pressure washer and for hosing down your house after washing it)
- Ladder (for reaching hard to reach areas)
Note To Self: Make sure to follow all instructions that accompany your pressure washer, as these may damage your home’s paint job and cause personal injury to yourself and others.
Instructions for Soft Washing Your House
Here are some easy instructions for soft washing your house. We’ve also provided some professional advice and tips to assist you the exterior surface of your home.
Remember this is not a high pressure wash or power washing. This is a low pressure soft wash pressure wash (with very little pressurization) that’s safe for window cleaning.
Soft washing runs water over the home after a soft washing safe pressure washing has been done. (No high pressure, rather a light pressure wash.)
Steps to follow to soft wash a house:
- Gather together all the things you need (see above).
- Lay tarps over plants and lawn ornaments that may get wet.
- Lightly pressure wash the exterior of the house, starting with the roof first (use a fan nozzle tip to spread the water evenly).
- Use a long handled brush and lightly scrub the roof.
- Apply soapy water (dish soap and water) and scrub the roof and exterior of the house.
- Gently spray off the soap (no high pressure water).
- Apply a 1:1 ratio of household bleach (sodium hypochlorite) and water with the pressure washer or soft washing system.
- Let the bleach water solution remain on the home’s exterior for 20 – 30 minutes (bleach will heat up and disinfect the whole home, ridding it of contaminants, mold, etc.)
- Spray off the home entirely (using less pressure).
- Remove tarps and return the property to its normal state (clean properly).
Final Tips For Light Pressure Washing
It is important to do light pressure washing (soft washing) with a low PSI pressure washer. Every pressure washer is different.
You want one that is safe enough to clean wood paneling, your roof, vinyl siding, and really any surface safely. It also needs to handle the best concentration of chemicals (e.g., a higher concentration of bleach and cleaners).
The worst mistake you can make is to be in a hurry. This is when you make mistakes. Take your time and do a good job.
Recommended: Purchase a low cost pressure washer like the Sun Joe. It does a remarkable job and we love it.
Frequently Asked Questions
Should I buy a soft washing machine?
You should buy a soft washing machine and detergent. The system can be purchased from several retailers. Many of them offer these machines for purchase. You will need to buy the detergent separately, as liquid dish soap is not bleach-stable. A good soft washing solution can be purchased at your local hardware store. The bleach will kill the algae, moss, and mold spores on your siding and roof. While you’re using the bleach, you’ll need to use water to dilute it.
How easy and safe is soft washing?
The soft washing system is easy to use, and it is made of environmentally-friendly products. The chemicals used in the process are biodegradable and safe for your pets and family. These chemicals are even safe to use on the outside of your home. Using a soft wash system ensures your home’s exterior surfaces stay looking clean for up to six months, which is far better than using a pressure washer.
Can I soft pressure wash if I’m not a handyman?
If you’re not a handyman, you can hire a soft wash pressure washing company, like Lakeland Pressure Washing.
How to soft wash a vinyl house?
If you’re softwashing a vinyl house, you’ll need a pressure washer and a bleach pump-up sprayer. The detergent must be bleach stable, so it should not be liquid dish soap. It should be a high-pressure washer with a nozzle that is compatible with different kinds of surfaces. This process is a great way to keep your home looking beautiful. It also kills bacteria and prevents stains.
What is softwashing?
A softwashing system is essential for a thorough cleaning of the exterior of a house. These systems use a low-pressure, water-based solution to kill bacteria, algae, moss, and other fungi. Afterward, they must be diluted with water for the best results. If the pressure washer is too powerful, the bleach can damage tiles. Instead, use a diluted solution of bleach instead of water to achieve the same result.
What chemicals are used to soft wash a house?
To soft wash a house, you’ll need a soft wash system. You can purchase these systems at various retailers, including Lowes and Home Depot. To get a soft washing system, make sure you have the right nozzles for different pressures. Then, you’ll need to add water and bleach to the cleaning solution. These will kill mold, algae, moss, and fungi, which will help your home look great.